Seattle Mama Doc
The Seattle Mama Doc blog was launched in 2009 and was the first-ever pediatrician authored blog on behalf of a hospital at the time. This blog caters to one principle I’ve learned along the way: parents just want to do what is right. The desperate love we have for our children can shock us into good and sometimes bad decisions. I believe parents search for and sincerely desire simple answers to the How-What-Why-Who of parenting, the essence of doing right for their children. And, the abundance of online noise invokes fear in all of us when making decisions for our children.
Over time, I hope to illuminate the reality that in pediatrics, doing less is often more. Prevention reigns.
Parents just want to do what is right. It’s the defining what’s right that, on occasion, remains elusive. This blog, an attempt to help.
- Build trust in the science and safety of vaccines.
- Meet parents where they are online, making trusted data available in real time.
- Share my knowledge as an ivy-league educated pediatrician, mom to two boys, and spokesperson for the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Leverage partnerships with trusted outside organizations (CDC, NFID, AAP, WA DOH, ACIP, & KYOTCs) to build trust and share timely recommendations.
- Create digital media assets and channels that build upon the SMD brand (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, podcast, etc.)
Findings & Reach
Blog has received 11.5M page views since inception. Several posts #1 in Google SEO.
7,600 Facebook followers.
40,000 Twitter followers.
2,800 Instagram followers.
82,000 podcast episode plays.
- The Seattle Mama Doc brand is trusted and respected.
- Best performing content is in the sleep space.
- Content is king and perhaps the most valuable asset.
- Parents want access to information in real time, not just in the 15 minutes they get with their pediatrician.
- Leverage social media channels to move communication from 1:1 to 1:many.